Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A note to a friend on "Tranny"

Hey L--!
I remember I was going to send you my thoughts on "tranny." This is one of those words that depends so much on context. I believe that humanizing, inclusive language is a good thing, and dehumanizing, othering language is a bad thing. When I say "tranny" to my friend Jamez, who is out as trans, it is because we both share many of the same experiences and struggle. It is a tacit acknowledgment of all we have in common. I think that is fine. When a snotty cisgendered person uses "tranny" as a slur, it is an othering tactic, and instead of referring to our similarities, it emphasizes my differences with the communuity (and, consequently, places my heatlh, dignity, and safety at risk). Not kewl.

When a cis gendered loved one uses tranny, or trans artist refers to hirself as a tranny, these are gray areas. I have actually gently asked my girlfriend to keep from using that word with me, because I want to submerge myself in the ways in which we are similar, not different. And, of course, a trans artist who uses "tranny" as part of hir message or medium, should have every right to do so. However, I cringe when I see "tranny" performances become exploitative.

In the end , uses of "tranny" that build and affirm and nurture seem fine, while those that separate, isolate, and dehumanize are not.

I hope that helps.
*hug*
Ryka

No comments:

Post a Comment